Maintaining a healthy mouth means practicing good oral hygiene (brushing, flossing, and rinsing), eating a balanced diet, and visiting the dentist regularly for cleanings, exams, and x-rays. Dr. Bae and his staff at Enhance Dental can help you maintain a healthy smile, with a range of services to prevent the onset, progress, or recurrence of dental diseases and conditions. They offer preventative, comprehensive, and restorative services to ensure that you have a healthy, confident, and beautiful smile.
How do you practice comprehensive dentistry?
A healthy smile is much more than the condition of your teeth. Comprehensive dentistry considers the entire mouth and the relationships between your teeth, gums, bone structure, aesthetics, speech, chewing efficiency, and infections. Dr. Bae works with patients to understand their oral health, as well as their desires for having a healthy and confident smile. He educates them about how good oral health habits can treat and prevent disease as well as improve the look and function of their mouth. As a prosthodontist, he can help the most complicated dental cases, bringing together a team of specialists to provide the right treatment and sequencing.
During a comprehensive dental exam, Enhance Dental patients can expect the following:
- Diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer using VELscope® technology.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Aesthetic evaluation: Review smile design for patients who desire enhancement
What do teeth cleanings involve?
Professional dental cleanings are performed by the experienced, registered dental hygienist at Enhance Dental. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar)
- Removal of plaque
- Teeth polishing
- Fluoride treatments
- Home care instructions
Why are dental x-rays necessary?
Dental radiographs (x-rays) are essential, preventative, diagnostic tools that provide valuable information not visible during a regular dental exam. This information is used to safely and accurately detect hidden dental abnormalities and complete an accurate treatment plan. Without x-rays, problem areas may go undetected. Enhance Dental's x-rays are all digital, so the images are created without chemicals, performed with minimal radiation, and are easily shared. Early detection and treatment saves time, money, unnecessary discomfort, and your teeth.
Dental radiographs may reveal:
- Abscesses or cysts
- Bone loss
- Cancerous and non-cancerous tumors
- Decay between the teeth
- Developmental abnormalities
- Poor tooth and root positions
- Problems inside a tooth or below the gum line
Are dental x-rays safe?
The dental x-rays at Enhance Dental use very little radiation. In fact, a full-mouth series of digital x-rays is equal to the amount of radiation that you might receive in a single day from natural sources in our environment. Dental x-rays have long been considered safe, and the Enhance Dental office takes necessary precautions to limit patients' exposure to radiation when taking dental x-rays, including the use of lead apron shields to protect the body and using modern digital radiographs and filters.